Tuesday, February 1, 2011

sew day.. uh, I mean, snow day!

My snow day, or I think I should really say ice day, was a huge sew day!
I already had the pattern cut for Butterick B5500 so I hit the ground running this AM... and...

I finished it! All in one day.
Ok, well actually it is 98% finished.  A little hand work is still needed and I need some advice:

Here's the nearly finished jacket.   Just loved the tucked detail on the sleeves:
It's hard to tell in the picture, since it just looks like two lines of stitching, but it's really tucked fabric.
And here's the part I need your opinion on:
I have some velvet ribbon to use... do I
A)
add it to the collar?  There would be about 1/8 of an inch reveal of the collar showing...

or
B)
add it to the front down the area where the buttons would be....  If I do this I envision adding fancy buttons for looks and then using hooks and eyes to close the jacket, which I will probably never wear closed.

I won't sway your opinion by giving you my gut thought, which was not my original thought...

I will tell you that I actually have a longer velvet ribbon that is 1/2 as wide and is the same royal blue that is in the details.   I thought about adding that around the bottom edge about 2" up and then to the sleeves about an inch above the tuck detail...

*too many decisions*!!!
So I will go to bed and sleep on it and await your opinions.

4 comments:

  1. I vote for down the front of the jacket. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the velvet on the collar. Maybe I've worked at a university too long - velvet down the front reminds me of graduation gowns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ginny! That's what it is about it!
    My first thought was to put it down the front, but something about it just wasn't right!
    I think I'll go with the collar...
    Thanks, girls!

    ReplyDelete