Monday, February 7, 2011

some ideas are better off staying in my head...

I have been working on a new jacket that is a light grey wool with a nice red pin stripe.  The pattern calls for a small ruffle that goes around the collar and down one side of the front placket.  Cute, I think and decide it would be nice to use the red from the pin stripe.
Oooh and how nice would it be to use a light organdy as a contrast to the medium weight wool...

Oooh and I could save time and effort and use a red organdy ribbon....

So.  I buy a spool of ribbon, break out the needle and thread and create the ruffle. 
I add it to the jacket.

And it looks awful.   Ok, not just awful, but really horrible.   What was I thinking!

The red turned out way brighter and way to... well, clown-like.   I looked liked all I needed was a big red nose and big red shoes... well, you get the picture.

Actually, you don't get a picture.  It was just that bad.

So I ripped it out and redid the collar with no ruffle and we are way better off already.

I think it was a combination of the contrast of texture and the contrast of color.  OH, who cares! It was hideous!

I am thinking now that maybe a 1/8" velvet ribbon in a cranberry red around the edge of the collar would be nice...  I am not on a velvet kick though despite the velvet on the previous jacket collar and despite what you are thinking!

The jacket is 98% done and I hope to work on the matching pencil skirt some tonight.
I've got a vision of a smart looking suit.  
I've always wanted a suit....

No comments:

Post a Comment